Art/Creative Director of highly effective, segment-leading consumer and b2b magazines. Extensive experience in publishing, promotions, and emerging technology. Proven history of comprehensive strategic planning, award-winning design execution, and staff management while optimizing company returns.
Art Director: Northstar Travel Media (July 2016 - Present)
Leads the creative focus for Business Travel News magazine.
• Responsible for all phases of award-winning designs/redesigns from concept to finish including: creating infographics, handling all photo retouching/manipulation, managing budgets and maintaining schedules.
• Organizes and manages workflow, conducts and arranges photoshoots and budgets in order to efficiently meet tight deadlines.
• Collaborates with publishers and editors to create innovative ideas for engaging presentations of difficult, abstract material.
Art Director: Haymarket Media Group (July 2013 - May 2016)
Led the creative focus for Direct Marketing News magazine.
• Created award-winning designs/redesigns and directed cutting-edge illustrators and photographers to continually elevate the quality of all visuals for the DMN brand (which included virtual events, webcasts, live events, an iPad app and digital editions).
• Art direction of marketing materials and establishing brand consistency across platforms.
• Successfully oversaw the creation of visual assets with external resources such as photographers, illustrators and agencies. Directed both location and studio photoshoots.
Creative Director: SourceMedia (July 2004 - September 2012)
Led the creative focus for Financial Planning magazine and U.S./American Banker magazines.
• Implemented internal content management systems, editorial tools and workflows.
• Managed multidisciplinary team with remote members on simultaneous projects, deploying limited resources to meet critical goals.
• Oversaw and mentored 30 person design team that coordinated 40+ publications and numerous interdepartmental projects.
Owner, James Jarnot Design (July 2012 - Present)
Integrating an uncompromising work ethic with innovative custom design solutions. Developing a close relationship with clients to gain insights that help me deliver the highest quality work that fits their needs. Clients include The Topps Company, Goodwill Industries and the East Harlem Tutorial Program.
• Full marketing campaigns for annual charity galas from concept to implementation (including save the dates, invitations, stationary, brochures and all digital components).
• Simultaneously managing and completing several projects at once. Consistently meeting clients needs and deadlines.
• Design of logos, brochures, invitations, annual reports, websites and company branding.
Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts from the State University of New York at Buffalo
• Major in Graphic Design with minors in Photography, Art History, English and Economics.
AWARDS & CERTIFICATIONS
• Azbee Award, Best Overall Issue - (National, Gold) Business Travel News magazine, 2018
• Azbee Award, Best Cover - Photo (National, Silver) Financial Planning magazine, 2013
• Azbee Award, Best Cover - Photo (Northeast, Gold) Financial Planning magazine, 2013
• Azbee Award, Best Cover - Computer Generated (Northeast, Gold) American Banker Magazine, 2013
• Azbee Award, Best Overall Magazine (National, Gold) American Banker Magazine, 2012
• Azbee Award, Best Cover - Photo (Northeast, Silver) Financial Planning magazine, 2012
• FOLIO Award, Best Redesign (Silver) On Wall Street magazine, 2005
• Certified for Adobe Digital Publishing Suite
• Certified by Noble Desktop for Responsive HTML Emails